A Travellerspoint blog

Hay to Curlwaa near Wentworth

Thursday 25 May 2017

Forecast today was partly sunny with temperatures of 7 to 20 degrees.

We were on the road at 9:30 am after filling up with fuel including our two jerry cans as the price of fuel was $1.249. Between Hay and Balranald we had to slow down because a large mob of cattle were being driven along the road.

We stopped for a late morning coffee at the Sunraysia quarantine bins, where we ate our tomatoes and mandarins and threw out a lemon and the banana skins from breakfast.

After re-fueling on the way into Mildura we went looking for the Merbein Common free camp, however the entrances to the area were very muddy so we continued on to the Curlwaa Caravan Park just out of Wentworth.

As we approached the caravan park we came upon a large double articulated over-width and over-length vehicle trying to turn around because he was too big to negotiate the bridge back over the Murray River.


Cattle on the road between Hay and Balranald.


Sign at the quarantine stop.


Large over-length and over-width trying to turn around.


Site 5 Curlwaa Caravan Park.

Posted by TwoAces 05:02 Comments (0)

Hay - Day 1

Wednesday 24 May 2017

Forecast for today is fine with a temperature range of 7 to 19 degrees.

We spent the morning catching up on the washing - no vibration from the washing machine - yippee its fixed.

After lunch we did the tourist thing and visited the Shearer's Hall of Fame, the Hay Gaol and the Hay Court House.

Our visit to the Hall of Fame included a shearing demonstration in a shearing shed that had been relocated from the Murray Downs Station on the Murray River near Swan Hill.


Entrance gate at the Shearer's Hall of Fame.


Australian Shearer's Hall of Fame at Hay.


Typical shearer's diet of over 29,000 Kj.


Wool Wagon built on 1925 and able to carry 20 tonnes.


Murray Downs Shearing Shed built 1925 and moved to the Hall of Fame in 1998.


A shearing demo - well done no red stuff.


Inside the shearing shed.


Shaun the Sheep with friends.


Champion shearer Kevin Sarre who once sheared a record 346 sheep in 1965.


Hay Gaol.


Inside the Hay Gaol.


Hay Court Building.


Coat of Arms on the Hay Court Building.

Posted by TwoAces 03:32 Comments (0)

Echuca to Hay

Tuesday 23 May 2017

The forecast for today was mainly fine and sunny with temperatures of 18 degrees.

We were on the road by 9:30 am for a 200 km trip to Hay in NSW. We stopped for fuel at Deniliquin before continuing on to Hay. We were lucky as the bad weather ahead of us moved away to the east as we approached Hay. While the raods were wet we missed all the rain.

Di had an interest in visiting Hay because some of her Corrigan relatives came to Hay in the 1850s.

After setting up at the Hay Plains Big 4 Caravan Park for 2 nights we went for a drive around Hay before heading to the local Cemetery to search for old Corrigan bones.


Site 3 at the Hay Big 4 Caravan Park.


Murrumbidgee River at Hay.


Di looking for Corrigan bones at the Hay Cemetery.

Posted by TwoAces 03:31 Comments (0)

Melbourne to Echuca

Monday 22 May 2017

The weather was predicted to be fine today for our trip today to Bendigo so that Di could go to the Bendigo Woolen Mills.

We were on the road at about 9:30 am and traveled west on Ballarat Road to the Western Ring Road, then north east to the Calder Freeway, where we headed north towards Bendigo. We found a parking spot in a street nearby to the Mill and walked to the factory outlet so Di could buy herself some wool for the next project. A 200 gm ball of wool is $14.00 compared to $6.00 for a 50 gm ball at Spotlight.

While we had intended to stay at Bendigo, we decided to press on to Echuca and check out the Christies Beach Free Camp site on the Murray River. Christies Beach turned out to be a bit of a disaster. The track taking us in to the camp site was narrow, very rough, rutted and potholed, with lots of water to negotiate. We decided to turn around when possible and retreat to a formed road. Using 4WD we were able to keep the van moving through the mud patches and water holes.

When back on the black stuff we drove on to the nearby Echuca Discovery Caravan Park. They gave us a drive through en-suite site at a normal powered site price, given we were only staying one night.

After setting up on the site we went for a walk along the River Murray, but before long the mosquitoes drove us back to the van.


Bendigo Woollen Mill.


The Factory Outlet at the Bendigo Woolen Mill.


Di's on a mission for wool for the next project.


The bargain room at the mill.


Bendigo Woolen mill main sale room.


Parked up near the Bendigo Woollen Mill.


More Autumn colour at Bendigo.


Drive through site at Echuca.


Plenty of mud to clean off the ute.


The Murray River at Echuca.


Another shot of the Murray River.

Posted by TwoAces 03:30 Comments (0)

Melbourne - Day 1

Sunday 21 May 2017

Mainly sunny in Melbourne today with a temperature of 19 degrees.

We dragged out the Myki cards and caught the bus from just outside the caravan park to the City, where we were headed for the Waterfront Restaurant on Southbank for lunch with Kirrily and Ian. They managed to fit us into their busy schedules for lunch - Ian had flown in that morning from Adelaide, and Kirrily was headed for Sydney the next morning. We had an excellent meal and caught up on their recent travels in the US.

Just to show how small the world is - while we were having lunch we got a wave from Pam and Steve as they wandered past the restaurant. Pam is the Newsagent at Howrah Point and was returning to Hobart from a week long holiday at Mooloolaba in Queensland.

No photos today.

Posted by TwoAces 03:30 Comments (0)

(Entries 21 - 25 of 589) « Page 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 .. »