A Travellerspoint blog

Tallebudgera Creek - Days 25 to 32

Monday June 22 to Monday June 29 2015

This is our last week at Tallebudgera Creek before we head inland on our way to Cooktown. The weather was a real mixed bag, sunny and warm, cloudy and cool, showery, all in equal measure , coupled with a couple of very wet days. We continued to maintain a few daily walks when it was not raining.

On Tuesday Di had a visit to a local dentist to have a broken filling replaced.

On Thursday we joined our caravan park neighbours, Colin and Merle for a buffet lunch at the Coolangatta and Tweed Golf Club. Mountains of food including seafood, roasts, Asian stir-fries, and desserts, and only $16.50 a head. Later in the day we headed for the Southport Club to catch up with Frosty and Marg before we leave next week. As Di and I had a big lunch we opted for a couple of small pizzas.

On Friday we did the rounds of Rays Outdoors and Anaconda looking for some new recliner chairs, as the old ones were in poor condition being 5 years old, rusting, grubby and repaired many times. The new ones are light weight - 6 kg compared to 11 kg for the old ones - a saving of 10 kg in the constant search to save weight.

Early on Saturday morning Colin from Australia-Wide Annexes delivered a new flap and sail-track for our awning. David spent the rest of the morning attaching the sail track to the face of the awning, and sliding the flap into place. The flap is designed to keep rain out of the zips and stitching at the top of the annexe. In the afternoon Di wanted a last visit to Robina to check out the shops.

The weather forecast for Sunday was fine compared to rain for Monday so we decided to pack away the awning while it was dry. It is now safely on the roof rack with the cover on to keep it clean and dry, it will not be needed again until we return to the Gold Coast in August. Despite the fine forecast the rain bucketed down about an hour after we had finished.

On Sunday afternoon we decided to have a last couple of drinks at our club - CSi Southport. David had an email advising that he had 11 tickets in the draw for the car and you had to be present to win. The prize was a choice of a small Hyundai car or $10,000. Needless to say we did not win one of the 20 keys that were drawn, neither did we win any of the 30 meat trays that were raffled. Probably just as well as the fridge and freezer are full.

Over the weekend we had 4 large Dragon Boats with crews of 20 racing up and down the Tallebudgera Creek, with drums banging away. After two days of it we were glad when the drumming stopped.

On Monday it rained on and off all day, occasionally very heavy, so just as well we packed up the annexe yesterday. We made a last visit to Woollies and BWS for supplies, and refuelled at Seven 11. Woollies charge 139.9 before shopper dockets compared to 131.9 at Seven 11 - no contest. Between showers David pumped up the tyres and air-bags on the Navara to our travelling pressures and checked the wheel nuts on both the Navara and the van.

Tomorrow our final pack should only take about an hour and hopefully it won't be raining.


Small Dragon boats at practice - a bit cooler today.


Small dragon boats practising on Tallebudgera Creek.


Sand dredge working the southern side of Tallebudgera Creek.


The new sail track and flap installed on the awning.


A briefing for the Dragon boat crews before the racing started.


Briefing over - the Dragon Boats head for the start line.


The start of the first Dragon Boat race.

Posted by TwoAces 01:17

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


David and Di,
Stay safe on your trip to Cooktown and return.
Hopefully, we will catch up again at 'our' club (CSi Southport) when you return to Tallebudgera.

Frosty and Marg.

by snowman3195

Thanks Frosty - see you in August.

by TwoAces

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.