A Travellerspoint blog

Melbourne - Day 4

Friday 8 April 2016

Another fine day in Melbourne - Mainly sunny and 22 degrees.

Jan and Andy were returning to Sydney today and had arranged a mid-morning shuttle pick-up from the nearby Mercure Hotel to take then to the airport. David and Di packed their bags and walked around to Ian's office to return the apartment key and get our Nissan out of the car-park. Thanks Ian and Kirrily for your hospitality - we had a great time in Melbourne.

As we were not catching the ferry until 9:00 pm we decided to head out to the Chadstone Shopping Centre for a walk around and lunch. After lunch we drove to Northcote to visit David's sister Louise, who has been back in her own home for about a month, after a long 4 month stint in hospital. She was pleased to see a couple of different faces as she has 24 hour a day nursing and home care, and is growing tired of the procession of helpers that she sees each day. The good news is Louise continues to improve and the level of support is being slowly reduced.

After saying our good-byes to Louise we made our way back to the city and headed for Beaconsfield Parade to find a parking spot to wait for the Spirit to start the check-in process. We parked across the road from the Pier Hotel and had a few drinks and an early dinner while we waited for the Spirit to arrive. It was doing a day sailing and was scheduled to arrive at 6:00 pm. At about 7:00 pm we decided that it was time to make our way to the end of the check-in queue only to find that nothing was happening. It was after 8:00 pm before we were able to check-in then it was a case of sit and wait again as all vehicles had to load via the deck 3 ramp. Once on the boat we were sent up the ramp to deck 5 although the loading crew seemed somewhat confused about where the vehicles were to go.

There were a lot of Targa Tasmania cars on the ferry tonight - everything from old Holdens to Lamborghinis and everything in between, including a very smart looking black Morgan sports car.

We were eventually on our way about an hour late and one of the Bar staff indicated that the late sailing was a result of the Wharfies misbehaving.
After a couple of drinks we were in bed by 10:00 pm, for what was expected to be a another smooth crossing.

Posted by TwoAces 23:54

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.