A Travellerspoint blog

September 2015

Sydney to Canberra

Wednesday 9 September 2015

Fine and sunny again in Sydney which boded well for our trip of about 300 km to Canberra today.

After breakfast with Jan and Andy we headed back to the Caravan Park at Lane Cove to hitch-up the van and be on our way. It was Motorways all the way today starting with the M2 then the M7, before turning on to the M31 better known as the Hume Highway. At the Pheasants Nest Service Centre we stopped for fuel and an early lunch. Just past Goulburn we turned on to the M23 (Federal Highway) and headed for Canberra, arriving at the Canberra showgrounds at about 2:00 pm. We paid our money and were left to find a vacant site.

No photos today.

Posted by TwoAces 04:13 Comments (0)

Sydney - Day 5 - Looking after Goldie

Tuesday 8 September 2015

Today was Jan and Andy's day to look after Goldie, so we went for a walk through the Artarmon reserve with Goldie to the Willoughby Incinerator for a coffee with Bec, who had walked down to meet us.

The Willoughby Incinerator is one of 12 designed by Walter Burley Griffin and Eric Milton Nicholls. The Incinerator operated from 1934-67 and the sewerage plant continued until 1974. Its construction was part of an employment creation initiative undertaken by Council during the Great Depression. In 1968 a public campaign saved the building from demolition and it was listed with the National Trust and Royal Australian Institute of Architects as a building of significance. From 1980-89 the building was The Incinerator Restaurant and then adapted to an office. In 1999 it was listed with the NSW State Heritage Register. It is now a popular café/restaurant again.

In the evening we went out for dinner at the Origin Restaurant in Willoughby, it had been recommended by Bec as a good place for a meal.


Goldie with scooter.




Goldie on her scooter again.


The Willoughby Incinerator - now a cafe/restaurant.


Willoughby Incinerator as built.

Posted by TwoAces 04:11 Comments (0)

Sydney - Day 4 - A Shopping Day

Monday 7 September 2015

Di and Jan headed to the City for a shopping day while Andy and David walked up to Chatswood for a coffee.

A good day had by all!

No photos today.

Posted by TwoAces 03:55 Comments (0)

Sydney - Day 3 - Barangaroo Reserve

Sunday 6 September 2015

As the weather had improved while we were looking at Elizabeth Bay House we decided to have lunch at a local restaurant in Pott's Point, after all it was Father's Day and the girls celebrated with a Champagne, as did the boys. After lunch we started with a walk around Woolloomooloo, then walked across the Domain on our way to Barangaroo - In all we walked about 10 km.

The Barangaroo Reserve is one of the largest urban renewal projects in the world, and transforms a 22 hectare container terminal into public open space. The new headland park was opened by Premier Mike Baird with Paul Keating by his side. Many people had contributed to the park, but it was Paul Keating who pushed, demanded, cajoled, badgered and insisted that instead of preserving the archaeological heritage of Sydney's docklands, we should look further back to the time of settlement. No-one would be surprised that Paul Keating is still taking the credit for the development.

Barangaroo was the second wife of Bennelong, from the Wangal clan, who was a go-between for the Aboriginal people and the early British colonists in New South Wales. Barangaroo was a member of the Cadigal clan. While Bennelong spent considerable time in the British settlement in Sydney, Barangaroo maintained her way of life with her people. Barangaroo died shortly after giving birth in 1791. After travelling to England in 1792, Bennelong returned to Sydney, living on the Parramatta River until his death in 1813.

Sunday was a spectacular public opening of the Reserve with a picnic, music, food, and art. We joined the masses to see what it was all about. After circumnavigating the Barangaroo Reserve we continued walking around the foreshore past Walsh Bay to Circular Quay.


Part of Australia's Navy.


Woolloomooloo pier development.


Barangaroo development.


The old Port Tower has been retained.


A cruise ship in town.


Barangaroo foreshore.


Opening day Picnic.


Opening day picnic area.


Recycled pallets.


Packer's Casino development.


Di with Jan and Andy.


Braziers to keep every-one warm.


Aboriginal flag on an old ketch.


Di and Jan pondering the next move.


Stairs to the Stargazers Lawn.


A tug going to move the Cruise ship on its way.


The Barangaroo development has made extensive use of cut stone blocks.


The Borrodale on a ferry run.


Sydney Harbour Bridge coming into view.


Even Sydney has its circle of standing stones.


Pilot boat heading to the cruise ship terminal to escort the Dawn Princess out of the harbour.


Port Tower still dominates the Barangaroo Reserve.


David, Jan, Di and Andy with the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the background.


Sydney Harbour Bridge.


NSW Port Authority Depot at Walsh Bay.


Beware of Falling Rocks.


The Opera House.


The Coat-Hanger again.


Government House from Circular Quay.


Dawn Princess heading out of Sydney Harbour.


Dawn Princess and the Opera House.


Circular Quay Ferries.


Andy and Di waiting for the photographers.


Old Whare-houses near Circular Quay.


Old buildings re-cycled as restaurants.


Cadman's Cottage circa 1817.


Captain William Bligh 1754 - 1817.

Posted by TwoAces 03:50 Comments (0)

Sydney - Day 3 - Elizabeth Bay House

Sunday 6 September 2015

We were not sure about the weather so headed to Elizabeth Bay House as it would make a good indoors activity, and if the weather picked up we could go to the Barangaroo Reserve in the afternoon.

Elizabeth Bay House was built by Alexander Macleay between 1835 and 1837. Macleay was the Colonial Secretary of New South Wales from 1826 to 1837, and in 1827 he was granted 54 acres of waterfront land at Elizabeth Bay by his good friend Governor Darling. Macleay was celebrated for his botanical interests and developed an extensive garden before starting on the building of the house. Macleay eventually succumbed to financial difficulties made worse by a depression that hit the Colony in the 1840s. The house was never completed to the original design, a Doric colonnade intended for the terrace surrounding the house was never built.

The house eventually passed to Alexander's eldest son, William Sharp Macleay, who took over his fathers debts, and William moved into the house in 1845. At this time much of the original furniture was sold and ended up in the NSW Governor's Residence. Three generations of the Macleay family lived in the house until 1903, and the house has variously been an artist's squat, a fashionable reception venue, and was divided into flats in 1941. The house was taken over by the NSW Historic House Trust, restored and opened as a museum in 1977, and is furnished in the same style as the Macleay period. Over the same period of time the 54 acre plot was subdivided on several occasions and is now a small suburban plot barely any larger than the house on which it stands.


Alexander Macleay, the builder of Elizabeth Bay House.


The Library at Elizabeth Bay House.


Di, Jan and Andy with our guide in the Saloon stairwell.


Curved doorways off the oval saloon.


Clark Island from the front of the house.


The Cask cellar under the house.


The bottle cellar under the house.


The front of Elizabeth Bay House.


I think that Andy is planning the next move.


Clarke Island from the front steps.


The public garden in front of Elizabeth Bay House.

Posted by TwoAces 02:56 Comments (0)

(Entries 11 - 15 of 27) Previous « Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 » Next