A Travellerspoint blog

Emerald to Granite Creek Rest Area

Saturday 10 June 2017

Weather started fine and sunny when we set off in the morning, but showers expected later as we head south.

Had initially planned to head for the free camp at Calliope, but given forecast for rain overnight and tomorrow we decided to get as far south as we could to take the pressure off tomorrow. Forecast for Sunday is rain so we don't want to spend all day driving in rain to Dicky Beach on the Sunshine Coast.

We left the caravan park at Emerald at about 9:30 am and made a brief stop at the nearby shopping centre for a few supplies and the weekend papers. We stopped at Blackwater for fuel, at Bluff for a morning coffee, at the turn-off to Biloela for lunch, then again for fuel at Boyne River. All up a long day as we completed 467 km before finally arriving at Granite Creek Rest Area, where another half dozen vans and motor homes were set up for the night.

At Blackwater we ended up at a card only Caltex outlet, however a truckie explained to David the process of getting fuel, and paying with a card. He had just re-fuelled an A-B-Double with three trailers, and was heading back to Rocky. Blackwater is a town of about 5,000 people and is the centre of about six open cut coal mines. Coal trains, each more than a kilometre long travel in both directions from Blackwater to Gladstone via Rockhampton.


Coal trains waiting at Alpha - both more than a kilometre long - one loaded and the other empty.


Camp Site at the Granite Creek Rest Area.

Posted by TwoAces 00:51 Comments (0)

Barcaldine to Emerald

Friday 9 June 2017

Another fine and sunny day.

Today's trip from Barcaldine to Emerald was 324 km. We were on the road by 10:00 am with a stop for papers at Barcaldine, a stop for fuel at Alpha, and a stop for lunch just before the Drummond Range. Initially our trip was on straight flat roads, however after Alpha the terrain changed as we went over the Dividing Range then the Drummond Range at 535 metres.

We arrived at the Emerald Cabin and Caravan Park at about 2:30 and checked in for one night. We were given a drive through site that allowed us to stay hitched up for the night. After a basic set-up we went for a walk into the Emerald CBD, which was about 1 km from the park. Emerald has a population of about 15,000 people with all the expected facilities.

No photos today.

Posted by TwoAces 02:19 Comments (2)

Lloyd Jones Weir, Barcaldine

Monday 5 June to Thursday 8 June 2017

Lovely sunny days with clear skies but a little cool overnight.

Nick and Christine Tall arrived on Monday for two nights - they are on their way to Townsville for the winter.

Lloyd Jones Weir is a free camp supported by the Barcaldine Shire Council. It has flush toilets, hand basins with soap and paper towels. It also has fresh water and a dump point. Some campers come for months on end but most come for a few days before moving on.

There are a lot of Apostlebirds at the camp site, and while they often travel in groups of 12 - hence the name - there are many more here. They are a nuisance - always looking for food. David had one take some corned beef out of his sandwich just as he went to take a bite, As well as the Apostlebirds there are also Kookaburras looking for a feed.

While we we here we tried to run the washing machine on the generator - Di is very pleased, it copes with the washing machine with less fuss than the hair dryer.

Each day we made the 15 km trip into Barcaldine for the Australian which arrives at about 10.30 am each morning. Barcaldine is well served for travellers wishing to stock up with a good IGA supermarket, a butcher, baker, pharmacy, hardware store and several fuel outlets. Barcaldine is a major stop for caravans travelling east-west and north-south

On Thursday the Spirit of the Outback train stopped in Barcaldine for a breather on its way back to Brisbane from Longreach. The train makes the return trip twice a week. The trip is just over 1,300 km, takes just over 25 hours and cost $153 each way.


Here lies the toilet roll thief.


Apostle birds snuggling up together.


A Kookaburra looking for food.


Looks like the fisho left his chair behind.


Nick and Chris parked in front of our Fiver.


Nick and Chris enjoying the fire pot with Di.


Now that's a sunset.


Spirit of the Outback having a breather at Barcaldine on its way back to Brisbane from Longreach.


Tree of Knowledge - now so dead it is held up with wires.


Shearer's Strike Memorial.


Caravans lined up in Barcaldine.

Posted by TwoAces 02:10 Comments (0)

Charleville to Lloyd Jones Weir (Barcaldine)

Sunday 4 June 2017

Another fine and sunny day.

Another long day - 400+ km, from Charleville to Barcaldine via Tambo and Blackall.

We stopped for fuel at Tambo where David had a chat to a truckie who was re-fuelling his B-Double. He was on his way from Melbourne to Townsville. David had to wait to re-fuel as he was using both bowsers to re-fuel. About $500 on each bowser. Glad that we were not paying the bill.

We arrived at Lloyd Jones Weir shortly after lunch and set up for 4 to 5 days. All the good sites were gone so we ended up in a spot under the trees without satellite access - so a few days without TV resulted.


Sunset at Lloyd Jones Weir.


Fire Pot in action again.


Home made wind guard for the barbeque.


Lloyd Jones Weir in the morning sun.

Posted by TwoAces 02:09 Comments (0)

Bourke to Charleville

Saturday 3 June 2017

Last night David sent a text message to Nick Tall to find out where they were - they had been on the Spirit 4 days after us and were also heading for Queensland. Nick rang a few minutes later to advise that they were also in the Kidmans Camp Caravan Park at Bourke. We spent an hour or so catching up on our travels to date and also future plans. At Cunnamulla we met up again as we had both chosen the same service station to refuel.

About 30 km south of Charleville we passed the Angellala Bridge Memorial. On 5 September 2014 a road-train carrying more than 50 tonnes of ammonium nitrate crashed and rolled near the bridge. The subsequent explosion destroyed the road bridge and the nearby heritage rail bridge. At the time of the explosion emergency crews were in attendance, but amazingly no-one died. The replacement bridge was opened in October 2015. The memorial was created using the remains of the rail bridge.

We arrived at the Bailey Bar Caravan Park in Charleville at 3:45 pm and checked in for one night. Having told them in advance that we were a fifth-wheeler we were given a large site that enabled us to stay hitched up for the night.


Angellala Creek Bridge after the explosion.


New Angallala Creek Bridge.


Angellala Creek Memorial using the remains of the rail bridge.

Posted by TwoAces 02:04 Comments (0)

(Entries 31 - 35 of 613) « Page .. 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 .. »